I get lots of questions about the best way for washing your hair after you get a spray tan.
So I came up with 5 easy tips for you so you don’t mess up your fresh bronze color in the shower.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase, I may make a commission. Read my full disclosure here.
5 Easy Tips For Washing Your Hair After Your Spray Tan
1. Wait to wash
Wait 24 hours before washing your hair. This allows your tan to fully develop and set in.
2. Rinse it clean
Don’t let the shampoo and conditioner run down your fresh tan in the shower. When you are washing and rinsing your hair lean over so the soap and conditioner are not sitting on your skin potentially causing streaks or uneven areas.
3. Choose a sulfate-free shampoo that suits your hair
Use a Sulfate-Free and Paraben Free Shampoo and Conditioner. These products are more gentle on your hair and your skin and won’t strip hair color or your fresh spray tan.
4. Bun your hair up
If your hair is long don’t let your wet hair with conditioner in it sit on your skin while you are waiting for the conditioner to absorb into your hair. Bun up your hair into a clip until you rinse it out.
5. Shower don’t soak
Don’t wash your hair while you are taking a bath. Sitting in the tub with the soap and conditioner in the water is going to create streaks and a patchy fade as your fresh tan is soaking in all of the soap leaving a residue on your skin. Showers are a better option for a clean rinse.
Shampoo and Conditioner Ingredients that are bad for your spray tan:
- Mineral oil
- Essential Oils
Keeping these ingredients off your skin while wearing your sunless tan ensures that your bronzy glow lasts as long as possible and fades smoothly.
So what products are safe for washing your hair after your spray tan?
Events To Spray Tan For:
- Should You Get a Spray Tan for Your Wedding Yes or No?
- How To Get The Best Spray Tan Before Your Vacation
- The Secret to Making Your Prom Makeup POP!
- Spray Tan Tips For Your Photoshoot
- How Boutique Clothing Models Prep For Photo Shoots
Kathryn’s Top 5 Favorite Shampoos and Conditioners That Are Safe to Use AFTER Your Spray Tan.
Sulfate Free, Paraben Free, Dye Free Shampoo and Conditioners are really gentle to your hair and skin. Let me share a few of my favorites.
1. Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner SLS Sulfate Free Organic Set
This Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner is super moisturizing and gentle. It hydrates and restores moisture levels and is safe and healthy for Colored & Keratin Treated Hair. Contains a UV and Thermal Protectant with Vitamins and Antioxidants, that Nourish and Repair hair from daily use of a blow dryer, straight iron or curling iron, or chemically treated hair. It’s also safe for your spray tan.
2. Salt & Sulfate Free Shampoo and Nourishing Conditioner
If you have a KERATIN treatment in your hair then this gentle Salt & Sulfate Free Shampoo & Nourishing Conditioner may be just what you are looking for. This shampoo EXTENDS THE LIFE OF YOUR KERATIN TREATMENTS – Will not strip away the soothing effects of the Keratin Complex and treatment. RESTORES NATURAL LOOK OF YOUR HAIR – With natural and botanical extracts, the Salt & Sulfate Free and Nourishing Conditioner leaves your hair healthy and soft, restoring its natural shine and look. Professional formula and spray tan friendly.
3. Purple Shampoo for Silver, Gray and Blonde Hair
If you are a SILVER FOX or a BLONDIE then this shampoo is just for you! A More Natural Way to Shine Silvers, Brighten Whites, and Tone Down Brassiness. Purple Shampoo Neutralizes Yellowing from Product Buildup and Environmental Damage. Gentle Plant-Based Hair Cleansing from a Proprietary Formula that Locks in Moisture for Color-Treated and Silver Hair. Leaping Bunny Approved with No Animal Testing and Spray Tan Safe.
4. Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set- SULFATE, PARABEN & CRUELTY FREE – For Healthier Hair & Scalp
The Grace and Stella Co. has upgraded this shampoo formula to leave your hair feeling softer and more moisturized. A powerful combination of all-natural oils and enriching natural compounds and I have to say this is just THE CUTEST packaging. Of course, I’m nicer when my hair is washed!! No sulfates or parabens. Always cruelty-free. And sunless tan approved.
5.Organic Vegan Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Sometimes our hair needs a little help to grow. Repairing is the first step in allowing new GROWTH. Dermachange shampoo and conditioner set uses aloe vera, argan oil, coconut oil, and biotin to rejuvenate weak, thin, or damaged hair, getting rid of dry scalp and dandruff. This formula replenishes lost nutrition that’s vital in keeping strong, smooth hair. SULFATE FREE PARABEN FREE and cruelty-free. Hypoallergenic, made in our own US labs with nutrient-rich natural ingredients and hair growth vitamins. Safe for color-treated hair and sensitive skin. And spray tan friendly.
Bonus: Scunci No-Slip Grip Octopus Clip, Black and Tortoise, 2-Count
These are my favorite clips for holding my hair up in the shower while my conditioner is soaking in! They don’t pull or break my hair and the teeth are flat to your scalp so it doesn’t dig or scratch your head!!
- 5 Best Lotions to Use After Your Spray Tan
- Natural body lotion that is not sticky
- Top 5 Best Sunscreens Safe For Your Spray Tan
- How To Avoid Green Smelly Armpits When You Get a Spray Tan
- What To Wear After A Spray Tan
- Eyelash Extensions Or Spray Tan First
- What to Wash with Before & After Your Spray Tan
- How To Extend Your Sunless Tan
So there you have some of my favorite Shampoos and Conditioners for washing your hair after your spray tan.
Here Is A Quick Recap For How To Wash Your Hair After A Spray Tan
- Use Sulfate-Free Shampoo
- Don’t let your wet conditioned hair sit on your skin while in the shower
- Use a clip to hold your hair up
- Rinse your skin thoroughly
- If you are using a medicated shampoo turn your head down to shampoo and rinse to keep the shampoo off your skin
Click here to Book Your Appointment For A Spray Tan
Or here to purchase my favorite self-tanning mousse
As always if you are loving the outfit on the model in the picture head over to Blue Layne for all the adorable choices!!
- Models and Clothing: Blue Layne Boutique
- Photo Credit: Emily Martin Photography
- Model Spray Tans: SunSpray by Kathryn
As a small business owner, I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
Spray Tan Business Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home-based spray tan business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own airbrush spray tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
- Wholesale self-tanning mousse
Love the article you just read? Think your spray tan clients would like to read it too?? Share my HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.