How To Get The Best Spray Tan for Prom
It’s time for PROM again!
You have found the perfect prom dress, shoes and jewelry, and now you need to plan your hair and makeup to go with it.
Within this post there may be affiliate links to the products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything but I will receive compensation that goes towards supporting this website. Read my full disclosure here.
After searching prom makeup looks on Pinterest, you found some really great ideas but what you can’t figure out is how the girls in all of those pictures look so flawless and how their eyes just seem to POP and their teeth are so white.
Well there is a little red carpet secret that celebrities, models and makeup artists use for special events.
It’s the first step to getting glammed up.
Before the hair and makeup.
It’s a spray tan!
Should You Get A Spray Tan For Prom?
A professionally applied airbrushed glow evens out your skin and brightens your complexion so when it’s time for the hair and makeup it brings it all together.
We are NOT talking vacation tan here, like you just got back from Spring Break in Mexico, but a subtle glow to bring out your features and brighten you up.
It doesn’t matter if you are the fairest of the maidens or have a bit darker skin tone, a little glow makes all the difference when your professional makeup artist starts to apply your foundation.
- How to get an appointment for a spray tan with Kathryn from SunSpray
- What to do before your spray tan
- When to schedule your manicure so you don’t ruin your spray tan
- What to wash with before and after your spray tan
When should you get your spray tan before prom?
There’s a lot of discussion about when the perfect time to get your spray tan before prom. I like to treat your prom spray tan the same way I treat my bridal spray tans.
The perfect time to get your prom spray tan is 1-2 days before the dance.
Any further out from your event and your color will be fading away already.
Should you get a spray tan the DAY of your prom?
The answer to this is NO!
If you get your spray tan the day of prom you run the risk of getting bronzer on your prom dress. Then you will be trying to figure out how to get spray tan off of your prom dress:(
When you are dancing and having fun you might get a little sweaty and the bronzer is going to streak and then soak into your gown. If the gown is a light color this is going to show!
What if I get sprayed with clear solution so there is no bronzer, then can I get my tan the same day as prom?
NO! (<–this no comes complete with my mom voice. You know the one I am talking about)
DHA reacts with and stains certain fabrics. These stains are not something that can be removed because in essence the spray tan solution has “tanned” your gown.
PLEASE don’t get your spray tan the same day as your prom.
Getting your tan applied 1-2 days before prom lets you shower removing the bronzer AND the active ingredients of the spray tan so that nothing will be rubbing onto your gown and ruining it.
I partnered up with the girls at Merle Norman Cosmetics and with Senior Photographer Brittany Ann to bring you a complete look. We loved our styled shoot with our model Chloe so that you can see exactly what we are talking about.
The beautiful glow from Chloe’s spray tan helps to even out her skin tone, bring out her eyes and makes her makeup POP!
Spray tan tips:
- Shower With A Mild Soap or Shower Gel
- Shave before your tan
- Exfoliate With A Poof or a Loofah
- Nails and Waxing BEFORE your spray tan appointment
- Older Bra/Undies. If your dress is backless grab some of the petals or a sticky bra
- Stay Dry
- Shower When You Get Up BEFORE school if I have sprayed you on Thursday
Bad spray tan advice
Please listen to your spray tan professional when it comes to spray tan advice and instructions.
Do NOT put lotion on before your spray tan:
- Your tan will NOT soak in and you will be splotchy or still white
Do NOT put lotion on when you get home after your spray tan:
- Your tan will smear all over leaving you a streaky mess and your hands all sorts of orange and messy
Do NOT take a shower when your get home after your spray tan:
- You will wash off the spray tan solution and won’t be tan (the only exception to this rule is if you got sprayed with a rapid tan or one hour tanning product. Then your spray tan artist will tell you exactly when to shower
Do NOT wash your hands after your spray tan:
- You will wash the spray tan solution off your hands and they will be white
Do NOT forget to shower in the morning before school:
- If you leave the bronzer on you will be too dark and slightly off color so please hop in the shower and wash the bronzer off before starting your day
Do NOT wear the bronzer to Prom:
- If your don’t shower before your prom and you put your pretty dress on over the spray tan solution you WILL get spray tan on your gown and ruin it. Also if it’s a light colored fabric and you get sweaty it will soak into your dress and show at the dance. Holy embarrassment!
- How to get an appointment for a spray tan with Kathryn from SunSpray
- When to schedule your manicure so you don’t ruin your spray tan.
- What to Wash with Before & After Your Spray Tan
- 5 Best Lotions to Use After Your Spray Tan
- What To Do Before A Spray Tan
So now you know the secret to making your prom makeup and pics look amazing. If you are in the Toledo, OH area and are in need of a prom spray tan then hop on your phone and ask Siri or Cortana for spray tan near me and I will pop right up. Or head over here to learn How to get an appointment for a spray tan with Kathryn from SunSpray.
If you are not in our area and are looking for an amazing spray tan artist near you then you should definitely read DECIDING TO GET YOUR FIRST SPRAY TAN for tips on choosing the best spray tan artist in your area.
As a small business owner I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
Sunless Tanning Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home based business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own sunless tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
Love the article you just read? Think your clients would like to read it too?? Share my spray tan HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information posts with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.
Hi, I’m Kathryn! I’m here to help you have the best spray tanning experience possible. When I’m not creating beautiful sunless tans, I am working with my students or writing for my blog sharing everything I know about how to get the perfect spray tan, how to give the perfect spray tan, and how to build a boutique spray tan business.