If you have never had a sunless tan before you may be wondering what you are supposed to do before your first spray tan? Well here are all the spray tan rules in one spot!
Within this post there may be affiliate links to products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything but I will receive compensation.
- Shower– As your professional spray tan artist I need you to have clean dry skin. Wash off all the lotion, perfume, deodorant and makeup. All of these products leave a residue on your skin and your spray tan can’t soak in evenly when you have them on. What to wash with? Simple shower gels or natural soaps are best. If it’s purple sparkly scented deodorant wash then don’t use it. For a list of soaps and shower gels that are Kathryn approved safe for your spray tan check out my blog post about what to wash with before and after your spray tan.
- Shave-Shaving is a form of exfoliating and it’s best to shave before your spray tan to get the dry patchy skin off and smooth out those legs. Also you should be limiting your shaving after your spray tan so that you don’t remove the color faster than you want to. To read more about shaving after your spray tan click here.
- Exfoliate-Exfoliating before your spray tan is great but I don’t like exfoliating scrubs. We go back to the product residue that I talked about above. Most exfoliating scrubs contain wax or oil and this sits on your skin blocking your spray tan from soaking in evenly. I prefer that you are using a loofa or exfoliating towel (<-my favorite) with your shower gel. Knees, elbows and ankles tend to have more dry skin on them so scrub them a little extra. Keep in mind that I am NOT asking you to take off 5 layers of skin. I don’t want you coming to me all red and rashy with your skin stripped out. GENTLE exfoliating is all that is necessary. If you are a dry skin type then a gentle scrub the night before please so that your skin has time to calm down before I am applying your spray tan.
- Nails/Waxing/Hair Before Your Spray Tan-Often when we are getting a spray tan we have other beauty appointments scheduled because we are getting ready for an event or trip. Please schedule all other beauty treatments BEFORE your spray tanning appointment. Nail polish remover, waxing and hair dye (and the remover they wipe it off with) will all ruin your tan, taking it off in a very unattractive way.
- What to wear during your spray tan and after– during your spray tan I recommend older bra and undies. Something dark colored that your don’t care about. A thong is fine and topless is up to your comfort level. If you are under 18 then a top is required. You can always opt for the sticky petals if you don’t want a tan line across your back or you will be wearing something that is backless. Think about what you will be wearing the week after your spray tan. I don’t want to create tan lines anywhere you don’t want them. After your tan wearing something loose fitting, soft and cottony is best. I DO NOT like shorts. Please wear something that covers up your legs, maxi dress or skirt or yoga/jammie pants. This ensures that you don’t stick to your car when you are leaving me.
- Stay Dry-After your spray tan you need to stay dry for 8-10 hours. No getting wet or sweaty. No pedicures, waxing or hot yoga classes. Get your workout in before your spray tan appointment. No rain drops, crying or puppy kisses. No cuddling with your baby or significant other. Your tan will transfer on to their skin leaving weird brown splotches on them. Small children are wet and messy. Drooling, sippy cups and diaper changes have been the demise of more than one spray tan. Plan your evening so that you have an extra set of hands on board if you have little people in your world. I know it sounds daunting but once you have had your first spray tan it will be no big deal. You will know what to watch out for.
- Shower the next morning– There are 2 scary moments when you get your first spray tan. When you get up in the morning and have that first look in the mirror your tan will seem WAY too dark. What you are seeing is a fully developed sunless tan with a layer of bronzer on top. It’s 2 layers and it’s TOO much. Don’t panic just hop into the shower. Second scary moment is when you hop in the shower and the water starts hitting your tan and it gets all streaky and messy and you are afraid that you have completely ruined your tan. I promise it is NOT ruined. It is just the bronzer washing away to reveal your perfect spray tan underneath. Once that bronzer is off you are good to go with wearing the clothing you want and not having to be afraid of getting wet any longer.
So now that you know what to do before your spray tan and what to expect while your tan develops when do you need to schedule your appointment?
As a small business owner I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
Sunless Tanning Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home based business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own sunless tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
Love the article you just read? Think your clients would like to read it too?? Share my spray tan HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information posts with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.