Should I Get My Nails Done Before Or After My Spray Tan?
Shiny, matte, glittery, bedazzled; in a sexy red, innocent pink and classic french tip.
When we are getting ready for a special event we are often having our nails professionally done. The mani-pedi relaxing girl moment before we slip into the bridal gown, our bridesmaid frock or prom dress.
It’s a girl’s mini-vacation before her BIG performance.
Within this post, there may be affiliate links to the products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything but I will receive compensation. Read my full disclosure here.
Should I Schedule My Manicure Before Or After My Spray Tan?
I have what I call the “Beauty Timeline” for getting all of your beauty routines organized and in the right order so that you aren’t going to have anything ruined…..you can read more about that here.
When it comes to your mani-pedi I prefer that you get your nails done BEFORE your tan.
The quick answer is I don’t like anyone messing up my work. But the long answer is that all of the soaking, scrubbing, steaming, exfoliating, nail polish remover, drying agents and finally the lotion and oils that you can come into contact with at the nail salon will wreak havoc with your airbrush tan.
Simply stated getting your nails done after your tan pretty much guarantees that your tan is going to stripped, faded and removed in areas that probably won’t make you a very happy girl.
Messed up tan=Sad girl
- 5 Best Lotions to Use After Your Spray Tan
- Natural body lotion that is not sticky
- Top 5 Best Sunscreens Safe For Your Spray Tan
- How To Avoid Green Smelly Armpits When You Get a Spray Tan
- What To Wear After A Spray Tan
- Eyelash Extensions Or Spray Tan First
- What to Wash with Before & After Your Spray Tan
- How to Extend Your Spray Tan
Will My Spray Tan Stain My Acrylic Or Gel Nails?
Sunless tanning solutions only work with the amino acids in your SKIN. Since your polish or gel nails do not contain amino acids and are not alive then the sunless tanning product won’t be able to work on the painted on coating on your nails.
But the bronzers in the spray tan solution can leave an off-color if it’s left on the polished nails.
If you are wondering how to protect your gel or acrylic nails from the bronzer in the spray tan gently wiping the nails off after your tan is all that you need to do.
If you have a fresh manicure or a light color that might make you worried about staining.
No worries, just bring it to my attention and we can make sure that your nails are clean and bronzer free before you leave the shop.
Can My Spray Tan Stain My Natural Nails?
The bronzers in the spray tan if left to sit on your nails can over time can leave a slight tint to your natural nails. A clear coat of polish or simply wiping your nails after the tan is applied will remove the bronzer so that it doesn’t stain.
Dry damaged nails seem to have more of a problem with this so if you have this problem please apply a clear coat of nail polish prior to your appointment to protect your natural nails.
Events To Spray Tan For:
- Should You Get a Spray Tan for Your Wedding Yes or No?
- How To Get The Best Spray Tan Before Your Vacation
- The Secret to Making Your Prom Makeup POP!
- Spray Tan Tips For Your Photoshoot
- How Boutique Clothing Models Prep For Photo Shoots
Getting Your Nails Done The Same Day As Your Spray Tan
Schedule your man-pedi in the morning and your spray tan in the afternoon!
Ask your tech to:
- skip the lotion and/or oil on your hands and feet
- or make sure you have enough time to stop home for a quick wash with some gentle soap before you come to visit me for your tan. Need help choosing a sunless tan friendly soap hop on over to my blog post for recommendations)
Getting Your Nails Done AFTER Your Spray Tan
As I have already said this is NOT my favorite scenario. BUT I understand that there are situations that make this your only option.
When getting your nails done AFTER your spray tan you need to follow a few RULES!!
Here are the things NOT to do:
- NO exfoliating of the hands, arms, legs, ankles, or top of feet
- NO soaking gel nails off
- NO steaming, scrubbing or rubbing
- NO lotion or oil
I know those are all the best parts of a mani-pedi but they are also the things that will damage your tan.
How To Get A Mani-Pedi AFTER A Spray Tan
- Remove all polish/gel before your spray tan so your nail tech doesn’t need to use nail polish remover or acetone to take your gel off
- Wait till after your first shower to have your nails done
- Choose a polish change or mini or express pedi service when getting your nails painted
- Skip the lotion and oil to keep your tan safe
Click here to Book Your Appointment For A Spray Tan
Or here to purchase my favorite self tanning mousse
As a small business owner, I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
Spray Tan Business Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home-based spray tan business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own airbrush spray tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
Love the article you just read? Think your spray tan clients would like to read it too?? Share my HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.