Best Spray Tan Tent Reviews
Welcome to my Spray Tan Tool Kit Series! A section of my blog where I talk about what spray tan equipment I use or have used and what I like or don’t like about it.
My hope is that these articles will help you in your search for the best spray tan equipment for your business, giving you a system that you can work off of for all future shopping. Because shopping for new spray tan toys is FUN!
Within this post there may be affiliate links to the products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything but I will receive compensation that goes towards supporting this website. Read my full disclosure here.
Hi, I’m Kathryn owner at SunSpray by Kathryn and if we haven’t met before and you would like to get to know me a little bit and check out who I am and what I do…..(Answer: Lots of spray tans!!!!) Then head over to my About page so we can get to know each other better.
Already know all about me and are ready to dive in, then skip down to get into the details!! If you are new to the spray tanning industry and are not sure what you need or what exactly you are shopping for, no worries, I have you covered.
START HERE: On my equipment page where I walk you through exactly what features to consider looking for in your spray tan equipment. This will get you up to speed on how the basics work and then you will have the confidence to make an educated choice. Then head back over here and check out a few of my reviews so you can see exactly what I am talking about.
Today we are talking about spray tan TENTS and how to find the best one for you.
What is a spray tan tent?
A spray tan tent is a pop up tent that helps to contain the overspray from your spray tan gun when you are applying the spray tan solution to your clients skin. Your client stands inside of the tent while you are applying their tan. The 3 sides of the tent captures the overspray not letting it float all over the room you are spraying in and it also provides your client with a bit of privacy.
If you have your equipment set correctly and are using a top quality spray tan gun then there should be minimal over spray. But there is always some extra spray tan solution that isn’t hitting the body and floats around the room a bit. We really want to contain this as much as possible so there is less clean up.
If you are a mobile sunless tanning business and going into peoples homes or offices, it requires a good quality spray tan tent to make sure any overspray is kept off of your clients floors, walls or furniture. The same holds true if you are using your spray tan equipment for spraying at home. You don’t want the extra spray tan solution to end up on your things.
Basic features of a spray tan tent.
A spray tan tent is made out of polyester/nylon material with a flexible wire frame that holds it up.
- They come in different sizes and different levels of quality.
- Some have a flap in the back that can be used for an added extraction fan.
- Some have a clear top to let in extra light making it easier to see where you are spraying.
- Some come with carrying bags
- They come in different colors (the most popular being black, brown and hot pink)
- There are accessories available for your spray tan tent such as extraction fans and lighting
The Drawbacks of Buying A Cheap Spray Tan Tent:
When you are purchasing your spray tan equipment buying quality is always important. You want to invest in items that are going to last and perform well. I have had several spray tan tents in my long career as a spray tan artist and business owner. Some of them have been great and others have fallen apart within a few uses.
Cheap spray tan tents have issues with:
- Being flimsy-when you spray they move with the air of your spray tan gun and sway back and forth so that you have to hold onto the side so they don’t hit your clients skin and mess up their still wet tan.
- Having poorly sewn seams-since most spray tan tents are made from a nylon type of material it is easy for the seams to pull apart and fray. This makes for holes in the tent not keeping the overspray from your spray gun contained.
- Low quality zippers-many spray tan tents have a zippered flap in the back of the tent for an extraction fan. This is a fan that helps to pull the spray tan solution overspray into a filter further keeping your space clean. If the zipper is of poor quality it will break and not seal properly leaving the back of the tent open for the spray tan mist to go through.
- Weak wire supports-the wire framing is a flexible wire that can coil to fold up the tent but also has to be strong enough to keep the tent upright while it is in use. It the wire is too thin it will bend and kink and also not support the tent properly so that you can spray without helping to secure the tent upright.
- Thin fabric-if the fabric of the spray tan tent is too cheaply made it can rip and split. The fabric that is used to make the spray tan tents is not the type of fabric that you can sew the edges together and create a thin seam. Once it rips the tent is no longer any good.
- Stains-low quality fabric also tends to stain and look horrible after a short time. You want to make sure that your spray tan tent looks appealing for your client to want to step into it.
What Sizes Do Spray Tan Tents Come In?
Spray tan tents do come in different sizes. There are small ones that are easy to travel with the standard tents that can be easily portable but are large enough to be comfortable and the extra large spray tan tents that would be more appropriate to stay in a room set up permanently in a salon or spa situation.
Spray Tan Machine And Tent Combo:
Often spray tan equipment comes in a set with the tanning tent included. This is a nice way to get started but it also does NOT let you choose the tent that you like the best for your spray tanning business. It can’t hurt to order the equipment package but you may find that you are shopping for another tent to suit your individual needs.
- Review of the MaxiMist Pro TNT Spray Tanning System
- Review of the MaxiMist Evolution Pro HVLP Spray Tanning System
- Review of the MaxiMist SprayMate Pro Spray Tanning System
- Review of the Fuji 2150 salonTAN Spray Tan Machine
How to clean/wash a spray tan tent:
Cleaning a spray tan tent can be a challenge as the fabric is thin and sometimes the spray tan solution really gets into the fabric making it look very dirty. Also the floor of the tent will get covered with a layer of spray tan solution. This is not something that your clients are going to want to stand in. And honestly it’s a safety issue. Spray tan solution can be very slippery when on tile or other slick surfaces such as the heavy bottom of your spray tan tent.
We need to clean this!
To wash your spray tan tent in between clients you can use a mild cleanser (NOT BLEACH BASED) to spray and wipe the inside of your tent down. Especially the floor of the spray tan tent. No one wants crazy feet from walking in old spray tan solution on the floor of your tent and you DON’T want anyone to slip.
PRO TIP: Remember to have a fresh towel for each client to stand on while you are spraying them. This keeps their feet off the floor of your spray tan tent (no crazy feet), gives them a clean spot to stand (which they will appreciate) and lets you pop the towel into the washing machine easily (which you will appreciate)
You can also do what I do several times a year and take my tent outside on a nice day and give it a little bath with the hose.
I use the rain or gentle hose setting so that I am not putting pressure on the wet fabric of my tent and take a soft cloth or sponge and and wipe out all the sunless tanning overspray. Give the tent a good rinse so there is no soap left in the fabric and let the sun dry it off before I bring it inside again.
This really gets all the old tanning solution out of the fabric and off the clear plastic so that it doesn’t stain and discolor the tent. Then I am good to go for a while with just wiping the floor down in between client sessions.
How To Fold Your Spray Tan Tent:
Figuring out how to fold your spray tan tent back up, when you first get it, can be quite a challenge and they all have their little quirks. But once you practice a few times it will be super easy and you will be popping your tanning tent up and down with ease.
Thank goodness we have YouTube now and lots of great videos on how to fold up your spray tan tent!
Funny Story: Please remember this was a VERY long time ago and all the great info on the internet was NOT there yet. They had just delivered my new spray tan tent, I had practiced with my new toy and was really loving how it worked. I folded it up, threw it in my car and headed out to spray several sorority houses at the University of Michigan that had booked me for their fall dances. It was a marathon spray tan party and after 45 tans for the day, I was exhausted, starving and ready to go home. I still had an hour drive back to Toledo, OH. But I had a problem, I couldn’t get the tent to fold up! Practically in tears (at midnight) I called my assistant at the time and we finally figured it out…….sort of…….at least enough to get it into my SUV and get home.
Just remember that there are plenty of tutorials out there and that you can always look up how to fold your tent up if you forget.
I hope this was helpful information for you to consider when you are shopping for either your first spray tan tent or a new one for your business or home use.
Please keep in mind that I am NOT a spray tan equipment distributor nor am I trying to sell you on any brand. This is how I evaluate each piece of equipment before I purchase it and bring it on board into my busy sunless tanning business. Equipment, solution and retail products that are listed come with my personal opinion as a spray tan business owner: the good, the bad and the ugly. You must evaluate what is going to work best for your business.
As a small business owner I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion. Shopping through my links is greatly appreciated and helps me continue to spread my message of skin safety!
Sunless Tanning Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home based business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own sunless tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
Love the article you just read? Think your clients would like to read it too?? Share my spray tan HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information posts with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.