The best way to shave after a spray tan is to use a sulfate-free shower wash, a new razor, and a light touch. Pat dry when you’re done and moisturize with a self-tanning lotion to extend your color. All other hair removal methods should be done before your spray tan so as not to remove your color.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase, I may make a commission. Read my full disclosure here.
- Shaving Before Your Spray Tan
- Shaving After Your Spray Tan
- Shaving Tips For Men
- Spray Tan Safe Shaving Products
- Best Fragrance-Free Shaving Cream For Spray Tan Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Shaving Cream
- Best Shaving Cream For Spray TanAlba Natural Very Emollient Cream Shave, Mango Vanilla
- Best Razor For Shaving After Spray Tan Gillette Mach3 Turbo Men’s Razor
- Best Woman’s Electric Shaver For Shaving With A Spray Tan Finishing Touch Flawless Legs Women’s Hair Remover
- Best Men’s Electric Trimmer For Shaving After A Spray TanPhilips Norelco OneBlade Face + Body hybrid electric trimmer and shaver
Shaving Before Your Spray Tan
Shaving can help to exfoliate removing dry patches that could lead to an uneven spray tan.
If you are waxing, bleaching, or doing laser hair removal please have this done several days before your tanning appointment.
Do I Have To Shave Before A Spray Tan?
No, shaving is a personal choice and you don’t need to shave at all if that is not your preference.
Can You Shave The Night Before A Spray Tan?
Yes, the night before your spray tan appointment is the perfect time to shave and exfoliate to prep your skin. This gives your skin time to calm down before your spray tan is applied.
Can You Shave The Day Of A Spray Tan?
This depends on how coarse your hair is and how much time you have until your spray tan appointment.
DARK HAIR: If you have very coarse or dark hair, shave the night before your tan, it gives a chance for your pores to close up before the spray tan is applied so the tanning solution doesn’t settle into them resulting in little polka dots.
FAIR HAIR: If you are fair with light fine hair you can shave the morning of your spray tan. Just make sure to rinse with cool water to help close the pores after you are done shaving.
Can I shave an hour before a spray tan?
This is not recommended as your pores will not have time to close allowing the sunless tanner to settle into the open pores causing black dots or what we call strawberry legs.
How to prevent Strawberry legs or black dots when using a sunless tanner
This is caused when you shave or wax too close to the time of your spray tan appointment. Or shave right before you apply self-tan at home.
Tips for preventing self-tanner dark spots on legs:
- Shave in the direction of the hair growth. I know that you won’t get as close of a shave but it will leave the hair follicles closed preventing your tanner from settling into the pores.
- Rinse your legs with cold water after shaving to close the pores. tanning can help reduce strawberry legs as warmth can open the pores.
- Use a fresh razor.
- Exfoliate before hair removal.
- Moisturise after hair removal.
- Wait 24-48 hours after shaving for your hair to grow a bit and fill in the follicle and for your skin to settle down and the pores to close.
Events To Spray Tan For:
- Should You Get a Spray Tan for Your Wedding Yes or No?
- How To Get The Best Spray Tan Before Your Vacation
- The Secret to Making Your Prom Makeup POP!
- Spray Tan Tips For Your Photoshoot
- How Boutique Clothing Models Prep For Photo Shoots
Shaving After Your Spray Tan
Does spray tan come off when you shave?
Yes, shaving does exfoliate the skin, so if shave AFTER your spray tan there are a few tricks to remember:
- WAIT 24 HOURS after getting your spray tan to shave.
- USE A NEW RAZOR. The old razor is dull and will drag on your skin taking your tan off with it. This isn’t going to make anyone happy so go grab a fresh one so it can glide along without dragging against your skin as much.
- DON’T USE SHAVING FOAM. Shaving products often have ingredients that can damage your tan. Alcohol and heavy detergents can dry and strip your tan away. In a pinch use your conditioner or a sulfate-free, shower wash so you are not applying harsh products to your freshly sprayed tan. Or grab one of the sunless tan-safe shaving lotions that I list in my shopping guide. If your razor has a moisturizing strip make sure that you are rinsing all that product off your skin too. PRO TIP: Never dry shave.
- LIGHT TOUCH. Don’t press hard when you are shaving. Let the razor glide along your skin gently so that you are not taking off the tan when you shave.
- Try not to shave daily after your spray tan if you can help it. The more often you are shaving the faster you will fade out your color.
- Do NOT wax after your spray tan as it will remove your sunless tan. Please do all waxing at least 48 hours BEFORE your spray tan appointment.
You CAN have bronzy smooth skin if you follow these spray tan tips for shaving after your spray tan!
And as always, following up with a good moisturizer or sunless glow creme can help to keep your color longer.
Can I Use Nair Or Veet After A Spray Tan?
Hair Removing creams exfoliate skin in addition to removing hair, so using it after a self-tanning product will remove your sunless tan too. Use these types of hair-removing products at least 24 hours BEFORE you get your spray tan.
Shaving Tips For Men
When it comes to my male clients getting their spray tan applied we need to have a quick conversation about your shaving routine.
You are shaving your face and/or head so if we mess this up it’s gonna show.
My questions are:
- How often do you shave?
- Do you use a blade or an electric razer?
- Are you using any pre-shave products or after-shave products?
First, shave your face and/or head before you come in for your spray tan appointment.
This gives me a clean palate to start with.
To allow the spray tan to fully develop, please wait at least 24 hours before shaving.
Skip the pre-shave products as they have ingredients in them that will break down your tan.
Don’t use a foam-based shaving product. These have alcohol and detergents in them that will break down your tan.
Do use a plain alcohol-free lotion after you shave to soothe and hydrate your skin and keep your tan moisturized.
Don’t shave daily if you can help it.
Using an electric razor is more gentle on your spray tan than a blade helping it to last longer.
- Washing Your Hair AFTER Your Spray Tan
- What to do before your spray tan
- What to wash with before and after your spray tan
- 5 best lotions to use after your spray tan
- What To Wear After A Spray Tan
- How To Extend Your Sunless Tan
Spray Tan Safe Shaving Products
Best Fragrance-Free Shaving Cream For Spray Tan Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Shaving Cream
Shop this lotion on Amazon
Love this shaving lotion! It’s simple and gentle and gives a great glide for a close shave all without the spray tan damaging ingredients that can strip your color. Fragrance-free and soft skin.
Best Shaving Cream For Spray TanAlba Natural Very Emollient Cream Shave, Mango Vanilla
Shop this creme on Amazon
Y’all know how much I LOVE the Alba product line (their sunscreen is amazing). This shave creme is wonderful! Smells great, has no harmful ingredients for your sunless tan and you just need the tiniest bit to get a great smooth shave.
Best Razor For Shaving After Spray Tan Gillette Mach3 Turbo Men’s Razor
Shop this razor on Amazon
This is my FAVORITE razor to shave my legs with. I know it’s a man’s razor but hang with me for a minute, it gives a great close shave, leaving my legs SUPER smooth! The women’s razors that I have tried have a lot of bells and whistles but don’t get my legs smooth. Also, the Mach3 doesn’t have all the extra moisturizing strips like on the ladies’ razors that seem to damage my spray tan. Does anyone know what’s in that stuff anyway?
Best Woman’s Electric Shaver For Shaving With A Spray Tan Finishing Touch Flawless Legs Women’s Hair Remover
Shop this electric razor on Amazon
This ladies’ electric shaver, has 18K gold plated heads, and easily contours to every curve. Easy to hold design is great for legs, ankles, and knees – all areas of your legs that are prone to get nicked or cut. I LOVE that it has a built-in LED light, which makes it so easy to see what you are doing; its rechargeable lithium-ion battery makes it cordless and portable.
Best Men’s Electric Trimmer For Shaving After A Spray TanPhilips Norelco OneBlade Face + Body hybrid electric trimmer and shaver
Shop this men’s electric razor on Amazon
Rechargeable OneBlade Face + Body can trim, edge, and shave any length of hair and the blade is not too close so your skin stays comfortable. Includes 2 blades, 1 for your face and 1 for your body. Use wet or dry. Click-on skin guard for extra protection on sensitive areas. Includes 4 stubble combs + 1 body comb for an even trim on the face or body. Automatic voltage – 100-240 Volt. Max power consumption – 2 watts. A Rechargeable Li-lon battery delivers 60 minutes of constant performance
I hope this answered all your questions about shaving before and after your spray tanning appointment and this helps you have the best of both worlds. A lovely tan with a smooth shave!
Click here to Book Your Appointment For A Spray Tan
Or here to purchase my favorite self-tanning products
As a small business owner, I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
SPRAY TAN BUSINESS PROS:
Are you looking for information on HOW TO start or GROW your spray tan business? Check out my tools of the trade for business-related content to set up your own airbrush spray tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
- Wholesale self-tanning products
Love the article you just read? Think your spray tan clients would like to read it too? SHARE my spray tanning HOW TO’S with your clients by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.