Can I Shave After A Spray Tan?
This is a very common question and the answer is YES as long as you follow a few simple rules.
Within this post there may be affiliate links to the products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything. Read my full disclosure here.
Shaving Before Your Spray Tan:
First things first, BEFORE your spray tan appointment go ahead and exfoliate your body and shave. This gives us a smooth pallet to spray over and removes the dry patchy skin that can lead to an uneven sunless tan.
Can You Shave The Day Of A Spray Tan?
DARK HAIR: If you have very coarse hair, shave the night before your tan, it gives your pores a chance to close up before the spray tan is applied so the tanning solution doesn’t settle into them resulting in little polka dots.
FAIR HAIR: If you are fair with lighter hair it is just fine to shave the day of your spray tan, closer to your appointment time if that is what is convenient.
Events To Spray Tan For:
- Should You Get a Spray Tan for Your Wedding Yes or No?
- How To Get The Best Spray Tan Before Your Vacation
- The Secret to Making Your Prom Makeup POP!
- Spray Tan Tips For Your Photoshoot
- How Boutique Clothing Models Prep For Photo Shoots
Shaving After Your Spray Tan:
Please wait 8-10 hours after getting your spray tan before you are shaving anything. Shaving does exfoliate the skin, so to shave AFTER your spray tan there are a few tricks to remember:
- USE A NEW RAZOR. The old razor that is hanging out in the shower is dull and will drag on your skin taking your tan off with it. This isn’t going to make anyone happy so go grab a fresh one so it can glide along without dragging against your skin as much.
- DON’T USE SHAVING FOAM. Shaving products often have ingredients that can damage your tan. Alcohol and heavy detergents which can dry and strip your tan away. In a pinch use your conditioner or a sulfate free, shower wash so you are not applying harsh products to your freshly sprayed tan. Or grab one of the sunless tan safe shaving lotions that I list below in my shopping guide. Also check out my what soap to wash with before and after your spray tan blog post. If your razor has a moisturizing strip make sure that you are rinsing all that product off your skin too. PRO TIP: Never dry shave.
- LIGHT TOUCH. Don’t press hard when you are shaving. Let the razor glide along your skin gently so that you are not taking off the tan when you shave.
Spray Tan Tips For Men
When it comes to my male clients getting their spray tan applied we need to have a quick conversation about your shaving routine.
You are shaving your face and/or head so if we mess this up it’s gonna show.
My questions are:
- How often do you shave?
- Do you use a blade or electric?
- Are you using any pre-shave products or after-shave products?
First shave your face and/or head before you come in for your spray tan appointment.
This gives me a clean palate to start with.
Before shaving the first time after I have applied your airbrush spray tan, wait at least 8-10 hours for the sunless tan to fully develop before showering or shaving.
Skip the pre-shave products as they have ingredients in them that will break down your tan.
Don’t use a foam based shaving product. These have alcohol and detergents in them that will break down your tan.
Do use a plain alcohol free lotion after you shave to soothe and hydrate your skin and keep your tan moisturized.
Don’t shave daily if you can help it.
Use an electric razor over a blade. This is more gentle to your spray tan helping it to last longer.
Keep reading for products that I recommend below.
Spray Tan Tips For Shaving
Try not to shave daily after your spray tan if you can help it. The more often you are shaving the faster you will fade out your color. Also, waxing after your spray tan will definitely remove your color as waxing removes some skin along with the hair so make sure that if you are waxing that you do that 48 hours BEFORE your spray tan.
You CAN have bronzy smooth skin if you follow these spray tan tips for shaving after your spray tan!
And as always, following up with a good moisturizer or sunless glow creme can help to keep your color longer.
- Washing Your Hair AFTER Your Spray Tan
- What to do before your spray tan
- What to wash with before and after your spray tan
- 5 best lotions to use after your spray tan
- What To Wear After A Spray Tan
- How To Extend Your Sunless Tan
Need To Stock Up On Spray Tan Safe Shaving Products?
Here is what I recommend:
- Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Shaving Cream, Fragrance Free
Shop this lotion on Amazon
Love this shaving lotion! It’s simple and gentle and gives a great glide for a close shave all without the spray tan damaging ingredients that can strip your color. Fragrance free and soft skin.
2. Alba Natural Very Emollient Cream Shave, Mango Vanilla
Shop this creme on Amazon
You all know how much I LOVE the Alba product line (their sunscreen is amazing). This shave creme is wonderful! Smells great, no harmful ingredients for your sunless tan and you just need the tiniest bit to get a great smooth shave.
3. Gillette Mach3 Turbo Men’s Razor
Shop this razor on Amazon
This is my FAVORITE razor to shave my legs with. I know it’s a mans razor but hang with me for a minute, it gives a great close shave, leaving my legs SUPER smooth! The women’s razors that I have tried have a lot of bells and whistles but just don’t get my legs smooth. Also the Mach3 doesn’t have all the extra moisturizing strips like on the ladies razors that seem to damage my spray tan. Anyone know what’s in that stuff anyway?
4. Finishing Touch Flawless Legs Women’s Hair Remover
Shop this electric razor on Amazon
This ladies electric shaver, has 18K gold plated heads, and easily contours to every curve. Easy to hold design is great for legs, ankles and knees – all areas of your legs that are prone to getting nicked or cut. I LOVE that it has a built-In LED light, makes it so easy to see what you are doing; rechargeable lithium-ion battery makes it cordless and portable.
5. Philips Norelco OneBlade Face + Body hybrid electric trimmer and shaver
Shop this mens electric razor on Amazon
Rechargeable OneBlade Face + Body can trim, edge, and shave any length of hair. Shave is not too close so your skin stays comfortable. Includes 2 blades, 1 for your face and 1 for your body. Use wet or dry. Click-on skin guard for extra protection on sensitive areas. Includes 4 stubble combs + 1 body comb for an even trim on face or body. Automatic voltage – 100-240 Volt. Max power consumption – 2 Watt. Rechargeable Li-lon battery delivers 60 minutes of constant performance
So Can You Shave After A Spray Tan?
Yes, you can, as long as you follow my above rules. I hope this helps you have the best of both worlds. A lovely tan with a smooth shave after your spray tan!
Click here to Book Your Appointment For A Spray Tan
Or here to purchase my favorite self tanning mousse
As a small business owner I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.
Spray Tan Business Pros:
Do you have a mobile spray tanning business, home based spray tan business, or are you looking to start one? Then check out my tools of the trade area of this website for help in setting up your own airbrush spray tanning business.
- Professional advice on choosing the best spray tan equipment
- Spray tan equipment and product reviews
- Spray tanning business resources to help you learn and grow
Love the article you just read? Think your spray tan clients would like to read it too?? Share my HOW TO’S and sunless tanning information with your clients on YOUR webpage or social media accounts by DIRECTLY LINKING to my webpage. Please don’t change or otherwise alter any content or claim as your own. No one likes a copycat.