Can I shave my legs after a spray tan?
This is a very common question and the answer is YES as long as you follow a few simple rules.
Within this post there may be affiliate links to products I am referring to. If you purchase a product through one of my links it will NOT cost you anything but I will receive compensation.
Shaving before your spray tan:
First things first, BEFORE your spray tan appointment go ahead and exfoliate the legs and shave. This gives us a smooth pallet to spray over and removes the dry patchy skin that can lead to an uneven sunless tan.
DARK HAIR GIRLS: If you have very corse hair, shaving the night before your tan gives the pores a chance to close up before the spray tan is applied so you don’t get little polka dots.
FAIR HAIR GIRLS: If you are fair with lighter hair it is just fine to shave closer to your appointment time if that is what is convenient.
Shaving does exfoliate the skin, so to shave over your spray tan there are a few tricks to remember:
- NEW RAZOR. The old razor that is hanging out in the shower is dull and will drag on your skin taking your tan off with it. This isn’t going to make anyone happy so go grab a fresh one so it can glide along without dragging against your skin as much.
- NO SHAVING FOAM. Shaving products often have ingredients that can damage your tan. Alcohol and heavy detergents which can dry and strip your tan away. In a pinch use your conditioner or sulfate free, shower gel so you are not applying harsh products to your fresh spray tan. Or grab one of the sunless tan safe shaving lotions that I list below in my shopping guide. Also check out my what soap to wash with before and after your spray tan blog post. If your razor has a moisturizing strip make sure that you are rinsing all that product off your skin too.
- LIGHT TOUCH. Don’t press hard when you are shaving. Let the razor glide along your skin gently so that you are not taking off the tan when you shave.
Try not to shave daily after your spray tan if you can help it. The more often you are shaving the faster you will fade out your legs. Also, waxing after your spray tan will definitely remove your color as waxing removes some skin along with the hair.
You CAN have bronzy smooth tan legs if you follow these spray tan tips for shaving after your spray tan!
- What to do before your spray tan
- What to wash with before and after your spray tan
- 5 best lotions to use after your spray tan
Need to stock up on spray tan safe shaving products?
Here is what I recommend:
- Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Shaving Cream, Fragrance Free
Shop this lotion on Amazon
Love this shaving lotion! It’s simple and gentle and gives a great glide for a close shave all without the added ingredients that can damage your spray tan. Oh and soft legs too.
2. Alba Natural Very Emollient Cream Shave, Mango Vanilla
Shop this creme on Amazon
You all know how much I LOVE the Alba product line. This shave creme is wonderful! Smells great, no harmful ingredients for your sunless tan and you just need the tiniest bit to get a great smooth shave.
3. Gillette Mach3 Turbo Men’s Razor
Shop this razor on Amazon
This is my FAVORITE razor to shave my legs with. I know it’s a mans razor but hang with me for a minute, it gives a great shave, leaving my legs SUPER smooth! The woman’s razors that I have tried have a lot of bells and whistles but just don’t get my legs smooth. Also the Mach3 doesn’t have all the extra moisturizing strips like on the ladies razors that seem to damage my spray tan. Anyone know what’s in that stuff anyway?
I hope this helps you have the best of both worlds. Lovely tan legs with a smooth touch after your spray tan!
As a small business owner I can’t stock all the amazing products that are available in the world of sunless tanning but I can give you my professional opinion.